RTDNA/NEFE Excellence in Personal Finance Reporting Award
The Radio Television Digital News Association is teaming with the National Endowment for Financial Education to honor the very best in personal finance reporting!
This award is presented as part of the Money Matters resource on the RTDNA website. Money Matters is a tool to help news personnel better cover stories about financial issues.
In 2012, in the television category, Lorrie Taylor of WJW Fox8 in Cleveland was selected as the winner for her series of pieces, “The Perfect Score.” Click here to view the winning entries.
In the radio category, Tess Vigeland of Marketplace was selected as the winner for her piece, “From heavy industry to intensive care.” Click here to view the winning entry.
In the online category, personal finance writer Andrea Coombes was selected for her piece, “With 401(k) disclosure, some fees still hidden” for MarketWatch. Click here to view the winning entry.
Information about the 2013 award will be available in the Spring.
(Information below was for the 2012 award)
Winning entries will...
1. Be submitted by a television or radio broadcast outlet or online news operation. Broadcast entries may also have appeared on the station's website. Submissions from corporate website blogs or non-news related sites will not be considered.
2. Be focused on an aspect of personal finance.
3. Demonstrate keen understanding and clear presentation of a newsworthy financial topic.
4. Exhibit an obvious commitment to educating and empowering news consumers to consistently make healthy, educated financial decisions.
5. Show an exceptionally creative approach to research, story gathering, using sources, and reporting.
6. Set a standard as industry-leading financial journalism.
1. Entries must have aired on TV, radio or online between January 31, 2011 and May 31, 2012.
2. Entries may not be longer than 10 minutes in length.
3. Entries must be uploaded to an external site (YouTube, Vimeo, etc.) or hosted via an external URL (your station’s site, for example) that will be provided to RTDNA in the application.
*Winners will receive a $1,000 prize, **complimentary registration to the 2012 Excellence in Journalism convention in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., along with round trip economy-class airfare and two nights hotel.
*Award will be presented to the individual entrant listed on the application, not to a station or news organization.
**Entrants must agree that, if chosen as a winner and they CANNOT attend the EIJ convention (9/20-22) to participate in the Money Matters session, they will forfeit the prize and an alternate winner will be chosen.
Applications will be accepted beginning Tuesday, June 26, 2012 until Tuesday, August 7, 2012. Registration is $25 for RTDNA members and $50 for non-members.
For any questions about the award, please email Katie Switchenko at firstname.lastname@example.org