As one of its key missions, the Radio Television Digital News Foundation promotes the hiring, training, promotion and retention of women and minority professionals in electronic news through professional training, networking, educational programs and research. By fostering discussion, RTDNF promotes cultural diversity in America’s newsrooms and specifically seeks to promote and increase the minority participation in newsroom management. RTDNF understands the importance of developing programming and resources for working minority news professions as well as for minority students, and provides training and educational opportunities for minority news professionals at every step of their career.
RTDNF fulfills this mission through:
- News management training workshops for minority professionals in radio, television and digital news at the annual Excellence in Journalism conference and other training sessions across the country
- Scholarships and fellowships for minority college students and young professionals preparing for or enhancing careers in television, radio and digital news
- Ongoing research into staffing trends for women and minorities in electronic newsrooms
- Recruitment training and written resources for the managers responsible for hiring newsroom personnel to help them find and keep qualified minority employees
- The Diversity Toolkit: A video and printed workbook to help broadcast and digital news organizations seeking to include more diverse voices on staff and in news content
DIVERSITY TRAINING RESOURCES
RTDNF's Diversity Toolkit is now available in PDF form. You are welcome to download it, print it and use it to develop a diversity workshop for your organization. The toolkit workbook and its accompanying video companion piece is included on our Diversity Toolkit page and is also available on the RTDNF YouTube channel.