Carole Simpson Scholarship
Carole Simpson is a former member of the Radio Television Digital News Foundation Board of Trustees. She established the Carole Simpson Scholarship to encourage and help minority students overcome hurdles along their career path. Carole Simpson Scholarship winners are working as reporters, producers and anchors in television and radio stations across the country.
Simpson retired from ABC News in 2006 to become Leader-in-Residence at Emerson College's School of Communications in Boston. In a career of notable firsts, in 1992 Simpson became the first woman and the first African American to moderate a presidential debate. She is completing a book on her 40 years as a pioneering African American woman in the field of journalism. In 1996, Simpson receive the Leonard Zeidenberg First Amendment Award in recognition of her work to protect First Amendment Freedoms.
2013 CAROLE SIMPSON APPLICANT CRITERIA:
- Must be officially enrolled in college and have at least one full academic year remaining.
- Must be a fully enrolled college sophomore or higher to receive scholarship.
- Must apply for only one scholarship.
- May be enrolled in any major so long as your intent is a career in electronic journalism.
2013 REQUIRED ITEMS FOR CAROLE SIMPSON SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATIONS:
1. A completed application form submitted online only.
2. A cover letter, submitted with the online application including these topics:
- Discuss your current and past journalism experience.
- Describe how you would use the funds if you were to receive the scholarship.
- Discuss your choice to pursue a career in electronic journalism.
- Include in your cover letter 3-5 links to your best and most relevant work samples to the scholarship for which you are applying. Work samples should be broadcast (television/radio) or online news pieces. Entrants are encouraged to upload their work samples to sites like YouTube, Vimeo, Sound Cloud and other platforms, then inlude links to these samples in the cover letter. Entrants are also encouraged to provide a link to their personal website, if this is available, or social media platforms if they are used professionally. Please discuss your role in each of the pieces (producer, editor, reporter, etc).
3. A letter of recommendation from your dean, faculty advisor or intership advisor, submitted with online application.
Past Carole Simpson Scholarship Winners
2011 Paule Machado Click here to view a sample of Paula's work
2010 Gardenia Coleman Click here to view some of Gardenia's work
2009 Lina Washington, Arizona State
2008 Brandon Lewis, University of Missouri
2007 Chamise Jones, Virginia Commonwealth University
2006 Jeffrey Preval, Hofstra University
2005 Damon Maloney, Columbia College
2004 Alexis Hunt, Indiana University
2003 Deanna Garcia, New Mexico State
2002 Alexandra Harold, Eastern Illinois University
2001 Lanaea Chaunte Parker, Louisiana State
1999 Vicky D. Nguyen, University of San Francisco
1998 Holly Harris
1997 Zaneta T. Lee
1996 Ingkeua “Klare” Ly
1995 Hope Lorraine Bartlett
1994 Arun Khosla
1993 Lourdes Alcaniz
1992 Drakeel Burns