Lou & Carole Prato Sports Reporting Scholarship
The 2014 application period is now open. CLICK HERE TO REGISTER AND APPLY
Extended Deadline to apply is May 31, 2014
Louis F. Prato has dedicated more than 30 years to RTDNA and RTDNF. Lou served as secretary of the RTDNF Board of Trustees, and for more than 20 years he was treasurer of the RTDNA Board of Directors.
Lou has worked as a news director, a journalism professor, a consultant, and Director of the Penn State All Sports Museum. Lou and his wife Carole live near his alma mater, Penn State University. He is the author of The Penn State Football Encyclopedia.
In recognition of his service to RTDNA and RTDNF, and his commitment to excellence in journalism, the $1000 Lou and Carole Prato Sports Reporting Scholarship was established in 2001. It is awarded to a journalism student who brings Lou's journalism values to covering sports.
LOU & CAROLE PRATO SPORTS REPORTING SCHOLARSHIP APPLICANT CRITERIA:
- Must be officially enrolled in college and have at least one full academic year remaining.
- Must be a fully enrolled college sophomore or higher to receive scholarship.
- Must apply for only one scholarship.
- May be enrolled in any major so long as your intent is a career in electronic journalism.
REQUIRED ITEMS FOR LOU & CAROLE PRATO SPORTS REPORTING SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATIONS:
1. A completed application form submitted online only.
2. A cover letter, submitted with the online application including these topics:
- Discuss your current and past journalism experience.
- Describe how you would use the funds if you were to receive the scholarship.
- Discuss your choice to pursue a career in electronic journalism.
- Include in your cover letter 3-5 links to your best and most relevant work samples to the scholarship for which you are applying. Work samples should be broadcast (television/radio) or online news pieces. Entrants are encouraged to upload their work samples to sites like YouTube, Vimeo, Sound Cloud and other platforms, then inlude links to these samples in the cover letter. Entrants are also encouraged to provide a link to their personal website, if this is available, or social media platforms if they are used professionally. Please discuss your role in each of the pieces (producer, editor, reporter, etc).
3. A letter of recommendation from your dean, faculty advisor or intership advisor, submitted with online application.
Past Lou and Carole Prato Sports Reporting Scholarship Winners
2013 Kristen Wolfe, Salisbury University | Website | Work | Work | Work
2012 Katie Gillen, University of Florida Click here to view Katie's work
2011 Jonah Javad, University of Missouri
2010 Jacquelyn Adams
2009 Eric Hughey
2008 James D. Foley
2007 Carl Deffenbaugh
2006 Patric Sleightholm
2005 Scott McGowan
2004 Justin Kircher
2002 Kyle Edelen
If you have questions, please contact Karen Hansen at email@example.com