The Radio Television Digital News Association has announced the 2020 National Edward R. Murrow Award winners in a world premiere virtual event. For the first time, winners heard their exciting news as thousands of viewers tuned in on Saturday evening.
The uplifting program featured the announcement and celebration of more than 100 National Murrow Awards, selected from more than 5,000 entries.
“We know that this year has been extraordinarily tough,” said RTDNA Executive Director Dan Shelley in opening the event. “2020 has brought about challenges that have tested us at every level of our professionalism and humanity and I couldn’t be more proud that you are always there, covering it all. That you – despite the previously unthinkable professional and personal challenges you’ve faced – are continuing to serve your communities with distinction and dignity and professionalism.”
The winners include winners in a new Podcast category, five Student Murrow Awards and Overall Excellence Awards in eight categories:
- WTVR-TV in Small Market Television
- KMGH-TV in Large Market Television
- ABC News in Television Network
- KBIA in Small Market Radio
- KNX AM in large Market Radio
- CBS News Radio in Radio Network
- The Washington Post in Large Digital News Organization
- The Marshall Project in Small Digital News Organization
The evening also included inspiring appearances by:
- Dale Hansen, Weeknight Sports Anchor, WFAA
- Pierre Thomas, Chief Justice Correspondent, ABC News
- Dan Shelley, RTDNA/F Executive Director and COO