It's finally here! #GivingNewsDay is a great day to make an impact.
It continues to be a daunting time to be a journalist in America. When you’re faced with a public who is constantly questioning the press at every turn, who can you count on to go to bat for journalism and those who practice the craft with passion, care and credibility?
Like so many of us in the business who understand the positive impact local journalists have on our communities, you know that the Radio Television Digital News Association’s efforts to defend the First Amendment, train responsible journalists and celebrate the impact of your work are critical to combating the erosion of trust in news. Just this year, we’ve defended the future of journalism by:
- Helping thousands of journalists sharpen their skills through in-person education, webinars, conferences and by producing articles and guides to improve the craft.
- Urging every member of Congress to support unimpeded communication with journalists for all federal employees.
- Providing $35,000 in scholarships to help students prepare to be the next generation of responsible journalists.
- Hosting a record number of journalists looking to lead at our Anchor Leadership Summit.
- Speaking out on threats to the First Amendment like terrorist threats to journalists, While House press pass revocation, and fighting for press freedom in state legislatures and courts.
- Recognize the work of responsible journalists across the country through our Edward R. Murrow Awards.
Today and into the future, RTDNA will go to bat for journalism and for responsible journalists like you.
But we can’t do it alone. We need your help to continue the important work we’ve started, to make sure journalism thrives and to make sure those who practice the craft are prepared to serve as vital pillars of democracy. Can we count on you to join us?
This year, our goal is to recruit 50 journalists to donate $12 for 12 months – or $144 for the year - on #GivingNewsDay. Your commitment will help us to create a better tomorrow for journalism by continuing out work to defend the First Amendment, train responsible journalists and prepare the next generation of journalists to serve our communities by seeking and reporting the truth.
There’s no time like the present to make a donation, help the profession, and be part of a global pro-journalism movement. Will you make your #GivingNewsDay contribution now?
There are so many different ways to support RTDNA and RTDNF, and we’re excited to invite you to support our work in one of these critical areas:
- RTDNA: Your donation to the association allows us to continue operating as an individual membership association dedicated to supporting, training and advocating for journalists at all levels around the United States. Your donation to RTDNA is not tax deductible as the association is a 501(c)(6).
- RTDNF: The Foundation provides training programs, seminars, scholarship and fellowship support, and research in areas of critical concern to broadcast and digital news professionals and their audience. As a 501(c)(3) organization, your donation to the Foundation is tax deductible.
- The RTDNF Endowment: A permanent endowment established to support RTDNF, this fund is building now to protect and support the Foundation well into the future. Donations to the endowment are tax deductible, and those interested in funding at a special level can become part of our Oldfield Circle with a gift of $500 or more.
- Voice of the First Amendment Task Force: By supporting the VFA Task Force, you're supporting a collaborative effort with broadcast and digital journalism companies, like-minded media associations and others to provide a vigorous defense for the First Amendment, news media access and to combat the growing vitriol toward journalism in the current divisive political and ideological environment. Donations to RTDNA are not tax deductible as a 501(c)(6) organization.
- The RIAS Program: Since 1993, RTDNF has co-sponsored and administered exchange and production programs to give journalists the opportunity to learn directly about Germany's culture, politics and practice of journalism. Donations to the RIAS Program are tax deductible as part of the Foundation, a 501(c)(3) organization.
Help us keep the momentum going all day! Look for #GivingNewsDay posts on our social media platforms and share these messages to inspire your colleagues, audience, and others to get involved. If you have already donated, please post an #unselfie tagging us with a note on why you support RTDNA/F.