In honor of the Sunshine Week celebration of access to public information, RTDNA hosted a FOI Day webinar with renowned FOI expert David Cuillier to give newsrooms tips and tools to flex your FOI muscles.
Access the video recording and additional resources here.
- Collect great ideas for cool stories from public records/data.
- Learn how to find data in the dark recesses of government.
- Develop strategies for getting records, including effective letters.
- Apply tactics to overcome obstacles and illegal denials.
- Discover daily exercises to strengthen your FOI muscles.
Speaker: David Cuillier, Associate Professor, University of Arizona School of Journalism. National Freedom of Information Coalition President, SPJ Freedom of Information Committee Member and FOI researcher
Cuillier researches citizen and press access to government information, including public attitudes toward freedom of information, the state of access, and strategies for increasing transparency. He also teaches data journalism and public affairs reporting. He has served as freedom of information chair and national president of the Society of Professional Journalists, and was awarded the Wells Key Award, the highest honor given by SPJ. He has testified three times before Congress regarding the Freedom of Information Act. He is currently a member of the First Amendment Coalition of Arizona board and editor of the Journal of Civic Information. He co-authored " The Art of Access: Strategies for Acquiring Public Records ."