RTDNA honors outstanding achievements in the coverage of diversity with the Kaleidoscope Awards.
As part of RTDNA's commitment to diversity in newsrooms and in news coverage, the Kaleidoscope Awards are presented annually to news organizations that show an ongoing commitment to covering the diversity of the communities they serve.
The awards recognize excellence in covering issues of race, ethnicity, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Enter your radio, television or online news organization to showcase your ongoing commitment to covering diversity issues, earn recognition for news team demonstrate credibility to your audience.
January 20, 2020 - Submissions Open
May 28, 2020 - Submission Deadline
September 8, 2020 - Winners announced and honored
Entries may be submitted by stations, networks, syndication services, program services and online news organizations. Entries without appropriate station, network or company authorization will not be accepted. You do not have to be a member of RTDNA to enter the competition or win an award. International entries are accepted.
The decisions of the judges are final. At the discretion of the judges, awards may not be granted in some categories. Please note: RTDNA may utilize elements of any awards submission for promotional purposes.
How to Enter
- Entries may be a single story or a compilation of work.
- A written description is required and should include a list of material on the entry and a brief explanation of the news organization’s philosophy related to the coverage of diversity issues.
- Entries may be edited and must not exceed 60 minutes (all commercial breaks must be removed).
- Voice-overs or narratives are permitted only if they were part of the original piece.
- All material (link, written work) must be submitted through the online entry portal at the time of entry.
- All entries must have appeared between January 1, 2019 and December 31, 2019.
- Small/Large Market Radio
- Network Radio
- Small/Large Market TV
- Network TV
- Digital News Organization ("Pure Play" digital organizations. No portion of digital entries should have been broadcast.)
|Fees per Entry|
|Radio - Small/Large Market||$90||$140|
|Radio - Network||$160||$245|
|TV - Small/Large Market||$135||$220|
|TV - Network||$180||$270|
|Digital News Organization||$130||$170|
To qualify for member rates on entry fees, a member of your full-time news staff must be an RTDNA member. Unsure of your member status? Contact Karen Hansen: email@example.com.
Payment for entry fees can be made online by credit card (Visa, MasterCard or American Express) at the time of entry.
An entry that does not follow competition rules as outlined in here will be disqualified. Entries that are longer than 60 minutes will be disqualified. Entrants will not be notified of disqualification, nor will entry fees be refunded.
If you have questions, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.