RTDNA is seeking engaged members to fill open positions on the RTDNA/F Board of Directors to help lead the association dedicated to protecting and promoting broadcast and digital journalism.
RTDNA/F value and seek diverse leadership as defined by race, ethnicity, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, nationality, disability, appearance, geographic location and professional level. It seeks leaders from all news organization types, sizes and markets in journalism.
2020 RTDNA Board of Directors Elections ScheduleJuly 10: Nominations due to Nominations Committee
July 13: Nominations Committee submits slate of candidates to the full membership
August 11: 30 days of online voting begins
September 10: Candidates officially nominated during Membership Meeting
September 12: Voting closes and winners announced during Membership Meeting
2020 Open SeatsUnless otherwise noted, board members serve for two-year terms
- Chair-elect (3-year term - 1 as chair-elect, 1 as association chair, 1 as foundation chair)
- Treasurer (3-year-term)
- Region 3 Director (Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, Wyoming)
- Region 4 Director (Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin)
- Region 5 Director (Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska)
- Region 6 Director (Oklahoma, Texas)
- Region 9 Director (Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi)
- Region 10 Director (Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont)
- Region 13 Director (Florida, Georgia, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands)
- Director-at-Large (2 seats)
Take the Next Step to Be A LeaderThose interested in running for the Board of Directors should possess a number of desired attributes:
- Commitment to participate in at least 3-4 board meetings per year. RTDNA/F board members are also asked to provide financial support to a variety of special events and/or campaigns in conjunction with annual giving to support the organization.
- Recognized leader in the journalism community. Experience of service to the organization - committee or task force involvement, engaged with the organization on social media, speaker or trainer, etc. - is a plus.
- Positive leadership attributes, emotional intelligence, ability to work collaboratively and engage in appropriate debate and discussion where needed.
- Visionary and strategic thinker. Demonstrated ability to innovate within their own sphere of influence. Examples include but are not limited to: incorporating strategy, leadership, future focus, risk taking and an entrepreneur spirit.
- Chair-elect and Treasurer: Be active members of the association in good standing, including TV News Director/Manager, Radio News Director/Manager, TV News Staff, Radio News Staff, Online and Emerging Media News Professional, New Professional, Educator, Life or Retired, and have served on the Board of Directors for at least one year.
- Director at Large and Regional Director: Be active members in good standing, including TV News Director/Manager, Radio News Director/Manager, TV News Staff, Radio News Staff, Online and Emerging Media News Professional, New Professional, Educator, Life or Retired for at least one year. Candidates for or holder of the office of regional director must be employed within that region. Candidates for or holder of the office of RTDNA Canada/International Director must be employed outside the United States.
What makes a good board member
Board Roles and Reponsibilities
2020 Elections Guide and Timeline